Returning Characters

Discuss ideas and comments for future Monkey Island games.

Moderator: Moderator Monkeys

Re: Returning Characters

Postby HaydenWCE » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 am

Zlata wrote:Btw, when Elaine was rid of the pox, did she lose all her memories? Did she not remember Morgan after that?

That's actually something that I've pondered as well. I think that there'd be certain things that she'd remember, and some things that she wouldn't. The whole experience would probably be comparable to that of a dream - you remember certain parts of it, but not the whole thing; the whole thing is just a big blur and you forget most of the finer details.

If this were to be the case, it would probably provide the writers with quite a large degree of freedom, as they can conveniently pick and choose what they want Elaine to remember and what they want her to forget - they won't have shape the character around the events of the last game (if you get what I mean).
HaydenWCE

Postby Zlata » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:21 am

Yes, i understand what you mean. Her partially-restored memory will be an interesting point in the future sequels, i think.It's just that when LeChuck tried to make her jealous by mentioning Morgan's interest in Guybrush, Elaine said 'What?' sounding surprised and a little uncertain. So she may or may not remember her.
You're not supposed to enjoy classics, you're supposed to analyze them for meaning that isn't there!
--tehChaosEffect
Zlata

Postby HaydenWCE » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Fearless Flying Monkey wrote:She's an OK character, but I didn't find her particularly great. To be honest, she was just too much of a fan, she just seemed to be put there by the developers to say "Hey! We're fans!". A whole character is just too much, particularly one with such a big role in the plot, but to be honest, as characters go, I think Ozzie Mandrill was on the whole a better character than Morgan, it's funny because when she first appears, she could've been so much better, if they'd only removed the silly thing that she adores Guybrush.

Yeah, I get exactly what you're saying here. It was quite unnecessary; Telltale could have done away with that whole aspect of the character and been fine. However, on the topic of her being a bit fangirl-y, that side of her did wear off towards the latter part of the game; she became less of a joke/stereotype/plot element, and more of a credible character with depth.

Zlata wrote:Yes, i understand what you mean. Her partially-restored memory will be an interesting point in the future sequels, i think.

Precisely.

Anyway, on the subject of returning characters, I'd actually really love to see a re-appearance from King Andre. He was such a cool character; everything about him - his appearance, his lair, his persona and personality - was just great. He was a top villain, but was never given enough time in the sun/limelight. So I'd love to see him come back with a slightly larger role in one of the future games.

Perhaps, now with LeChuck now just a skull in a jar, Andre's willing to come out of his cave, and make an attempt at conquering the Caribbean, perhaps using his wealth to hire LeChuck's leftover skeletal minions to do his dirty work.
Or maybe he could 'pull an Ozzie', and use his riches to try to buy up the Caribbean, while hiring the best bounty hunters in the Caribbean to eliminate all competition and opposition.
Just some thoughts :).

What I'm basically trying to say is that the character has a lot of potential, so it would be a shame if he went unused.
HaydenWCE

Postby Fearless Flying Monkey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:27 pm

HaydenWCE wrote:Anyway, on the subject of returning characters, I'd actually really love to see a re-appearance from King Andre. He was such a cool character; everything about him - his appearance, his lair, his persona and personality - was just great. He was a top villain, but was never given enough time in the sun/limelight. So I'd love to see him come back with a slightly larger role in one of the future games.

Perhaps, now with LeChuck now just a skull in a jar, Andre's willing to come out of his cave, and make an attempt at conquering the Caribbean, perhaps using his wealth to hire LeChuck's leftover skeletal minions to do his dirty work.
Or maybe he could 'pull an Ozzie', and use his riches to try to buy up the Caribbean, while hiring the best bounty hunters in the Caribbean to eliminate all competition and opposition.
Just some thoughts :).

What I'm basically trying to say is that the character has a lot of potential, so it would be a shame if he went unused.

Good idea really, if he began taking over the Caribbean and then obviously LeChuck would come back somehow, probably Guybrush related to save the world, and then it all goes pear shaped. Or maybe just sideline LeChuck for a bit; even though he's sort of necessary.
There is a light and it never goes out.
Fearless Flying Monkey

Postby HaydenWCE » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 am

Fearless Flying Monkey wrote:Good idea really, if he began taking over the Caribbean and then obviously LeChuck would come back somehow, probably Guybrush related to save the world, and then it all goes pear shaped. Or maybe just sideline LeChuck for a bit; even though he's sort of necessary.

Thanks.

I don't know if I'd say LeChuck is 'necessary'. In fact, I think it would best for the series if he was sidelined for a bit, to avoid repetition and predictability - something that the series has been experiencing a lot of lately.
HaydenWCE

Postby Atilla » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 pm

I'd love to see Captain. Blondebeard reappear with his Chicken Shoppe.

Perhaps in a 3D view of Plunder Island.
Atilla

Postby HaydenWCE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Atilla wrote:I'd love to see Captain. Blondebeard reappear with his Chicken Shoppe.

Perhaps in a 3D view of Plunder Island.

That's actually a wonderful idea. Blondebeard was an interesting, zany character who I'd love to see be developed somewhat.
And, as for a 3D render of Plunder Island, I think that would also be really cool. I think the design/look/architecture of Puerto Pollo would look really good in the graphical style of 'Tales...', and seeing the Chicken Shoppe in 3D rendering would be very interesting, I think.
HaydenWCE

Previous

Return to Future Monkey Island games